Compliant to State Road Authority Specifications.
The W-Beam Guardrail with C-Posts is the most common roadside safety barrier in Australia and is manufactured in accordance with state road authority specifications; it is compliant to AS/NZS 3845 and is deemed to comply with the requirements of NCHRP Report 350 Test Level 3. It is adopted for use in NSW, Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia. The system comprises steel C-posts that support a w-beam rail element that is blocked out from the posts; U-posts are adopted for use in Victoria and Tasmania.
The W-Beam Guardrail system includes a post and block design which has been crash tested to be highly effective and significantly reduces snagging which can lead to vehicles vaulting or rolling over the safety barrier.
W-Beam combines the flexible resistance of a rigid guardrail with the bending resistance of the supporting posts. The crash energy is significantly absorbed by the rotation of the posts and through the surrounding soil, before the separation from the guardrail. When the guardrail and posts separate, the rail forms a redirective ribbon, guiding the vehicle away from the nearby hazard, and its height reduces the chance of vaulting over the barrier.
The W-Beam Guardrail can be used in verge or median locations, as well as on straight, concave and convex road sections. Straight W-Beam can be used when the radius is more than 45 metres; if less then curved guardrails are required.
Our experienced installers have completed projects for several councils and the NSW Roads and Maritime Services in Sydney metropolitan areas as well as in regional NSW. We are reliable and provide a high-quality service which has resulted in the procurement of long-term council contracts and ongoing relationships.
The team at Metal Fencing Specialists can also repair and replace guardrail systems and end terminals, to return protection to all road users and surrounding properties.
For more information on the W-Beam Guardrail call us today on 1300 904 284 or complete the form on the right for a quote.
- High visibility creates driver confidence.
- The post and block design reduces wheel snagging and the consequential effects of vaulting or rollover.
- Performs well on the outside of curves, even those of relatively small radius, as the concave shape (in plan view) supports the development of tension in the rail.
- Can be used in verge or median locations.
- Compliant to AS/NSZ 3845.
- Hot dip galvanised in accordance with AS/NZS 4680.
- Standard Post spacing – 2m.
- Height to top of rail;
- 710mm (SA & NSW).
- 730mm (Qld & WA).
- Dynamic deflection at 2.0m post spacing – 1.0m^ (2000kg vehicle at 100km/h and 25°).
- Recommended minimum Length –30m.^^
- Where a kerb exists at the edge of the road, it is recommended that the barrier be placed within 200mm of the face of the kerb or a distance behind it to ensure that impacting vehicles do not vault over the barrier.^^
- Recommended minimum distance between the rear of the system and the hinge point of the batter – 600mm.^^